Good. Fresh. Local.
At The Common Market, we know our growers personally, understand their farming practices and have on-the-ground experience at their farms. We are working to build a sustainable regional food system by sourcing from producers who use responsible farming methods and business practices.
All of our vendors must meet the following criteria:
- responsible land stewardship
- ensuring safe & fair conditions for farm workers
- providing safe growing, harvesting & processing practices
- reducing or eliminating pesticides
- eliminating hormones & sub-therapeutic antibiotics in livestock
- providing healthy & humane care for livestock
- located within 250 miles of our Philadelphia warehouse
If you have questions about the growing practices of our farmers, our food safety program or our product availability, please get in touch!
Contact our Mid-Atlantic outreach team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (215) 275-3435 ext 1.
"Your items are not only superior in quality, but most times in price as well." — Chris Barnes, Director of Operations, Morgan Hall, Sodexo at Temple University
Food safety is a fundamental cornerstone of The Common Market’s work. Our ability to serve vulnerable populations such as hospital patients, the elderly and school children is enabled by our strong food safety practices.
The Common Market’s HACCP Plan and Food Safety Practices are audited annually by a Third Party Auditor, NSF International. In 2016 The Common Market Mid-Atlantic became the first Food Hub to be awarded SQF Level 2, a globally bench-marked standard that is part of GFSI, the Global Food Safety Initiative. This is the highest level food safety standard in our field.
The Common Market Mid-Atlantic reached a milestone in August of 2016 when all of the produce farms earned GAP certifications for Good Agricultural Practices.
All meat and poultry are processed in USDA certified facilities to ensure the highest standard and quality of product. All of our growers who use the USDA Organic label have been certified as such.
Products Available Year-Round
We support a diverse array of local producers throughout the year. In addition to fresh seasonal produce, we offer the following locally-sourced products from January through December:
- Apple cider
- Jersey Fresh canned tomatoes
- Hydroponic lettuces and salad greens
- Freshly stone-ground grains & flours
- IQF frozen produce
- Maple syrup, honey & spreads
- Tofu, tempeh, seitan
- Artisan cheese
- Certified Humane eggs
- Certified Humane turkey
- Antibiotic free chicken
- Grassfed beef
- Wild-caught catfish
Fresh Seasonal Produce
Our availability list is updated on a weekly basis as produce comes in and out of season with the changing weather in our region. The following is a sample of what we procure from local farms. Many products are available for several months throughout the year.
- Winter: Apples, Beets, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Collards, Swiss Chard, Onions, Potatoes, Rutabaga, Turnips, Winter Squash
- Spring: Arugula, Asparagus, Carrots, Kale, Radishes, Rhubarb, Spinach, Strawberries
- Summer: Blackberries, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Corn, Cucumbers, Cherries, Eggplant, Green Beans, Peppers, Plums, Tomatoes, Watermelon, Zucchini
- Fall: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Celery, Leeks, Lettuces, Nectarines, Pea Shoots, Peaches, Pears, Raspberries